Department of Computer Science
The use of computers has drastically impacted our life since its inception in the 1950's and a world without it is incomprehensible as we continually grow to be dependent on them. Its importance and significance is unparalleled in the 21st century as innovation and technology is what drives this world ahead. Keeping students abreast to the latest in this field is a pivotal facet in a child’s education. Its relevance in schools is unprecedented, as computers have become important tools of learning replacing traditional methods, thus making it equally significant to the teacher as much as it is to the student.
Students from Grade 3 to 12 are taught Computer Science. For Grades 3 to 10, Computer Science is allotted one period weekly and it is considered a part of work education .For Grades 11 & 12 Computer Science is an elective subject and follows the specification of CBSE curriculum.
Objectives of Teaching Computer Science in Grades 3 to 5
- Computer Science as a subject is introduced in Class 3. Students are made familiar with the parts of the computer and the areas in which they are used.
- In classes 4 and 5, the students are made to understand "How this wonderful machine can help in different activities and how to apply them practically". The different topics that are covered in this section are Logo, Paint, Algorithm and Flowcharts, Windows, MS-Word, MS-PowerPoint.
- Algorithm and Flowchart help in developing the student's problem solving skill. Logo enables the students to apply programming statements to solve basic arithmetic operations.
- The practical sessions enable the children to improve their typing skill and give them an idea of the programming concept. Assessments are done (written tests and activities) on a regular basis. Projects which includes drawing using Paint enhances their creativity and interest in the subject. Gradings are done based on the performance of the above.
Objectives of Teaching Computer Science in Grades 6 to 8
- Students are introduced to the Windows Operating System, word processing software- MS-Word, spreadsheet software- MS-Excel, multimedia software MS-PowerPoint, programming language Quick Basic and Internet.
- Learning the above enhances the creativity of the student in presentation of documents and graphical design. Quick Basic provides the students with the basic ideas of programming and problem solving.
- The practical sessions enable the children to get hands on practice in the computer lab for what they have learnt in theory class. Activities are based on real life application of software packages to make the learning process more useful and interesting. Assessments are done (written tests and practical examination) on a regular basis. Projects done by students are assessed. Gratings are done based on the performance of the above.
- Contest like "DESIGN & WIN" conducted in this section motivates the students and gives them a chance to exhibit their talent and creativity.
Objectives of Teaching Computer Science in Grades 9 & 10
- Students learn more of word processing software MS-Word spreadsheet software MS-Excel, graphical software MS-PowerPoint and programming language-HTML
- Learning the above enhances the creativity of the student in presentation of documents, preparation of lists and performing calculations, graphs and in graphical designing. HTML provides the students with, knowledge of programming and Web page designing.
- The subject is taught giving adequate emphasis to its real life practical application. Assessments are done (written tests and practical examination) on a regular basis. Projects done by students are assessed. Grading is done based on the performance of the above.
- Students exhibit their creativity by making projects in different subjects applying information technology and making it interactive with hyperlinks, action triggers, and animation.
Objectives of Teaching Computer Science in Grades 11 & 12
- To understand the concept of Object Oriented Methodology and Programming using C++
- To develop logic for Problem Solving using OOP.
- To develop proficiency in Database handling.
- To learn the basic concept of Logic of Computing.
- To understand the basic concepts of Networking, Communication and Open Sources.